Here are some of the key features of the GDPR act that affects businesses:
- All websites must explicitly disclose that they are collecting personal data.
- Businesses must inform individuals about why, how and where they store and process users’ data.
- Users have a right to ask for a portable copy of the data collected from them.
- They have the right to have their data erased under some circumstances.
- Businesses with core activities where they collect personal data must have a data protection officer.
- Businesses must report serious breaches of information within 72 hours.
- GDPR violators can be fined up to €20 million or up to 4% of the annual worldwide turnover.